At Trainsolo we believe in something called the 80:20 rule when it comes to training. Eighty percent of your training should take place with your team and twenty percent of your training should be conducted on your own. On average, too many players are neglecting that 20 percent of individual training. What if we were to tell you that your individual training could be the separating factor between getting recruited by a college or not being recruited? What if we were to tell you that your individual training could be the difference in you making a team cut and not making a team cut? Well… that is exactly what we are saying!! Your individual training is where you are able to perfect the basics without hearing all of the noise from your parents, coaches, and teammates. It is a space for you to make mistakes and work on your weaknesses without judgement. Trainsolo is the perfect tool to make sure you are getting the most out of your 20 percent. As you begin to discover all the app has to offer, here are five tips for maximizing the efficacy of your 20 percent!
1) Visualize- take a moment before each drill to really visualize where you will use the skill you are practicing in a game.
2) Positive Self-talk- It might sound a bit odd, but talk to yourself out loud throughout your session. Let yourself know when you have done a great job and hold yourself accountable when you need to be better.
3) Good Repetition- Be sure you are practicing “good” reps. If you are performing a drill with poor technique over and over again, you are only creating bad habits. Performing skills with proper technique in quantity will assist in building positive muscle memory.
4) Work on your Weaknesses- It feels really good to practice our strengths and that is because well… we are good at them. However, if you want to improve your game, work on your areas of weakness.
5) Warm up and Cool down- Warming up and cooling down your body before and after a session is crucial for injury prevention. It can also be a time for you to clear your mind in preparation for your session!